About Face Youth Camp
About Face Youth Camp is behavior modification facility located on 5786 New Way Home Road Connelly Springs, North Carolina 28612.
It is marketed as a boot camp styled summer camp. They offer summer programs lasting a month and a winter camp session.
They offer programs for both girls and boys aged 8 to 17, but the camps are gender separated.
The offer 3 kind of programs:
- Summer Boot Camps: Each program session is 30 days. Each team is max. 30 teenagers.
- Winter Boot Camps: Each program session is 14 days. Each team is max. 30 teenagers.
- 3 day one-on-one boot camp session in the home of the teenager.
In the news
In 2000 the camp was closed for a while due to a complaint about a boy, who was handcuffed on and off for three days. This incident reveiled that the camp was not properly licensed and they had to apply for a new license before reopening . An article describe the conditions in 2000 as :
A highly publicized boot camp in Burke County, North Carolina, operated by a former US marine, was closed in June 2000 after social workers substantiated an allegation that a camper was handcuffed for three days and officials determined that the facility was providing foster care without a license.
The camp received nationwide attention thanks to more than ten appearances on the Jenny Jones television talk-show by its founder, former marine Raymond Moses. Kids from as far away as California were sent to the camp. The youngsters slept outside in two-person tents surrounded by a chain-link fence. The girls had bathrooms, but the boys did not. The camp had no license and was subject to no government oversight.
The facility has also been used as entertainment in relationship with various episodes on the Jenny Jones TV-shows
In 2001 a boy attending the camp was arrested on charges of theft .
- Child handcuffed for three days--Boot Camp For Troubled Kids Closed, Associated Press, June 16 2000 (Reprint from Project Nospank)
- 14-year-old dies in Arizona, latest casualty of "boot camps", By David Walsh, World Socialist Web Site, 6 July 2001
- Jenny Jones shows:
Episode: Caught on Tape: Out of Control Kids Busted at Home!
Episode: Kid, Your Discipline Is Lackin'! It's Time for Boot Camp, So Start Packin'!
Episode: My Kid Has No Pop. Please Make the Wild and Violent Episodes Stop!
Episode: Operation Boot Camp: 'Help Me Get Control of My Pre-Teen Son!'
Episode: Operation Boot Camp: 'Son, You Need Discipline in Your Life!'
- Youth from "About Face" Boot Camp Charged, Burke County Sheriff Office
- Info: Program Homepage
- Info: The last resort -- As desperate parents try boot camp, critics claim that alternative is laced with problems, By Lorna Collier, Special to the Tribune, May 27 2001 (Article mentioning the facility. Reprint from Project Nospank)