Cedars Academy was placed on the Rifle Range Road just outside Bridgeville, Delaware . It is for adolescents aged between 11 and 18 and they were detained there for an average of 2 to 4 years.
It was owned by Aspen Education Group.
Each of the detained teenagers lived in a room with 3 other teenagers of the same gender. There were six bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. They eat in a dining room in the building. Each building also had a classroom where they can participate in the education offered by the facility.
The teenagers could go home during school-breaks and they could speak with their parents by phone. It was unclear whether the time, length and number of phonecalls was used in the behavior modification process.
My Neil Schwartz Abuse
I broke a window thinking it would get me kicked out. It took Neil a half an hour to show up from his house mean while the staff had me sit down which I did until he showed up. When he arrived I was grabbed by my caller and drug down the fifty foot cement path at knee height by Neil Schwartz. By the time I got to the other building my pants and collar were completely shredded with bloody knees and elbows. Neil through me up the stairs into the other building where knowone else was. He jumped onto of me with his knee in my chest so I could not breath while restrain my arm and put his other hand over my face and pressed down then squeezed as hard as he could while screaming "Don't be a pussy John, stop crying" for no less than 10 minutes. I was crying begging him to stop the whole time. After Neil stopped he told me if I mentioned it to anyone he would call the police on me for breaking the window and it would happen again. By this point I was terrified of him. I walked away with a swollen bloody lip, ...scrapped knees, a severe limp, shredded clothes, and emotional scars and nightmares that I still suffer from. The next home visit I told my parents and they didn't believe me. That night I slit both my wrists and took a bottle of sleeping pills. I woke up in the hospital the next day. Neil Schwartz is really a sick monster and I will never forgive him for what he did to me. -John
On a page the following statement is made by "Angel" .
the headmistress (Mary Pauer)waved a knife in my face and tried to supress my left wing ideaology. The staff stood by and let my 18 year old room mate beat me up each day for my political views. (keep in mind I was like 13 and small for my age, an easy target for a coward like him and his accomplices amoungst the staff.) I am 18 now and this horible school is still up and running.
1989 the facility was involved in a lawsuit and had problems with the license .
1990 it was ordered to close 
2003 the facility is purchased by Aspen Education Group 
August 27, 2009 it was announced that the facility is closing .
April 2012 information was published showing that a lawsuit against the academy had been filed . According to the lawsuit there should have been an alleged sexually assault on September 21, 2007.
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Cedars Academy - Letter to the Editor, by Alan and Maureen O'Neal, published on the webpage of strugglingteens.com - industry marketing firm,
- Survivor group: Cedars Academy Rejects, Myspace
- Survivor group: Cedars Academy Players Club, Myspace
- Survivor group: Cedars Academy, facebook
- Forum: Troubled teen forum on fornits - Thread where Cedars academy is mentioned
- Forum: Gonzales; Torture Overseas Compared to, Cedars Academy/Aspen, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: Cedars Academy Closes, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: aspergers?, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: Lawsuit alleges sexual assault at Cedars Academy, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Heal-online, newsletter, October 1, 2010
- The facility on Google maps
- I Speak of Dreams - CEDU Timeline
- DELAWARE news, USAtoday, September 27, 1989
- DELAWARE news, USAtoday, November 6, 1990
- [Aspen Education Group Acquires Cedars Academy in Delaware; Boarding School Is First in Aspen's Expanding Network To Focus Exclusively on Students With ADD or ADHD.], PR Newswire, November 04, 200
- Cedars Academy Closes, press-release on strugglingteen.com - industry marketing firm
- Doe v. Cedars Academy, LLC, 2010 Del. Super. LEXIS 559