Elan School is a behavior modification facility with a postal address of Elan School, 1457 Maine Street, Poland, Maine 04274-0578 
It was established in 1970 and it is owned by Sharron Terry.
It is a Co-educational program. According to their website, they can detain 160 teenagers.
The length of the program is between 24 and 30 Months
Level system enforced by Job Hierarchy and "strength"/severe peer presure to conform to group/ Brainwashing / Cult
Clean-By members of the cleaning crew who clean constantly oh and the Shotdowns!
No communication with parents, Letters are earned and screened anything negative is punished and does not go out. Parents are told not to believe anything bad that their child may say that they are trying to manipulate their way out of the Program. Do not believe abuse reports ect.
Accreditation or diploma mill - which mill.
- Being placed in a boxing ring with new opponents until the detainee confesses . A girl - Kim Freehill - was airliftet to a hospital after such a match . According to witnesses she was bruised from the back of her knees to the top of her shoulders with open sores across her buttocks. According a a thread on a message board the after-effects from being beaten by several detainees could have resulted in a more severe outcome for one of the detainees 
- Being "shot down". Being stripped of all privileges previously earned at the school. Survivors have stated: "You were put into shorts generally, and no shoes, and you were made to scrub floors all day long and clean out trash bins,"
In the news
The facility were mentioned in relationship with a murder trial 
In 1975, Illinois state officials pulled 11 children out of the Elan program, charging that they had been mistreated. 
In 2002 during the trial of Michael Skakel witnesses testified that they were subject to beatings and public humiliation were parts of life at Elan during those years.
In 2007 New York education officials raised questions about the mistreatment, alleging in a letter to the school and Maine education officials that Elan students are physically restraining their peers and being deprived of sleep. The allegations prompted the state of New York to threaten to withdraw tuition money for taxpayer-funded students. The school's lawyer said that virtually all of the New York allegations are false.
November 2009 a new website was created to make it possible for survivors to met and tied loose ends up from their stay in the program 
- Ben Weasel - punk rock musician
- Michael Skakel - member of the Kennedy family and serving time for murder as result of a controversial trial
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Survivor Statement from End Institutional Abuse
- Survivor statement: Elan School, Written by dirty, blog on Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (Cafety)
- Info: ElanAlum.com
- Info: KENNEDY TEMPTRESS GIVES SKAKEL BOOST, By MARIA ALVAREZ and MARSHA KRANES, Associated Press, May 25 2002 (Re-print from Project Nospank)
- Info: Kennedy murder case exposes harsh school, By Charles Laurence, Daily Telegraph, June 9 2002
- Info: Skeletons in the Classroom, By WARREN ST. JOHN, The New York Times, June 2 2002
- Info: The darkness overcomes soul soars to the other plain, blog of Shariz88
- Info: Exclusive: New York State Acts to End Abuses at Elan School, by Maia Szalavitz, Huffington Post, January 17, 2007
- Info: Shocks From the System, by Maia Szalavitz, New York Times, January 7 2007
- Info: I survived the Elan School and I got was this lousy job, blog
- Forum: Elan School forum on Fornits
- Forum: Wow! ,a a thread on the youthrights message board where Elan is mentioned
- Forum: elan was and is an abusive prison for teens, activeboards sub-forum with several threads
- Forum: Elan School, a statement with a thread on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: Pathfinder guestbook, a thread with survivor statements.
- Forum: I went to a controversial private reform school for teens., a thread on the Reddit message board
- Position on Wikimapia
- Ex-students at Skakel trial describe Elan as 'horrific' - Elan School defends program, By DAVID GURLIACCI, Special to the Portland Press Herald, 2002 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc., May 31 2002 (Re-print from The Straights website)
- Bad Company - The Elan School, by Kevin Gray
- Hidden Elan School secrets, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Elan survivors remember place where prosecutors say Skakel confessed, Court TV, reprint on Community Alliance for the Fair and Ethical Treatment of Youth
- New York seeks change at Elan School, By Kevin Wack, Portland Press Herald Maine Sunday Telegram, March 25 2007
- Elan Survivors Group website