Escuela Caribe is a behavior modification facility located in the Dominican Republic.
It is a part of New Horizon Youth Ministeries in Marion, Indiana.
It was founded in 1971.
The program has six levels. (0-5) The first two are called orientation.
The staff can use whether a "unit" (12 units is given for running away) will result in corporal punishment with a belt or chores. Hair cuts done by the staff is also used as punishment .
Bad health (Diarrhoea) will have the consequence that the detainee has to use a bucket when it is needed and carry it around with him or her, so the staff can be shown the contents.
In the news
The author Julia Scheeres have written a book about her and her brothers stay at the facility. The book is called Jesus Land .
- 1) The location on Flash Earth. The facility is located south of the town of Jarabacoa in a area called Pinar Quemado. It has not been possible to obtain better images yet.
- 2) Video about the facility
- 3) Book review of "Jesus Land" by Julia Scheeres
- 4) Rulebook from 1999, see chapter STUDENT DISCIPLINE, units of concern.
- 5) Youth facility in Marion under fire for its tactics, by Teresa Auch, The Chronicle-Tribune, October 22 - 2006, reprint from Project Nospank
- 6) Report about the financial status of the company
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Homepage of Julia Scheeres Author of Jesus Land
- Info: http://www.isaccorp.org/documentsam.asp#escuela International Survivors Committee on Escuela Caribe
- Info: Youth facility in Marion under fire for its tactics, New Horizons official says problems of the past are being solved, By Teresa Auch, The Chronicle-Tribune, October 22, 2006 - reprint on project Nospank.
- Info: Testimonials from teenagers formerly detained at the facility
- Info: Teen Advocate on the facility.
- Info: Hell Camp for Jesus - More info from Teen Advocate
- Survivor Group: Survivors of the program
- Survivor Group: Yahoo Group of survivors
- Survivor Group: Escuela Caribe, Myspace
- Survivor Group: Friends of Jarabacoa, Myspace group for satisfied survivors who believe that corporal punishment had saved their lives.
- Forum: Tread about Escuela Caribe on Fornits
- Forum: Another tread about Escuela Caribe on Fornits
- Forum: Tread about Escuela Caribe on Youthrights
- Forum: Another tread on Youthsright about the facility