Forskel mellem versioner af "Excel Academy"
(→External links: added further news)
m (1 revision)
Versionen fra 23. apr 2008, 19:09
Excel Academy is placed on 12244 Serenity Rose Drive, Conroe, Texas 77304 .
The average time of being detained there is 18 months according to NATSAP , but they are working on reducing the length of the stay to 12 months.
It did open in 1997 and has room for 90 detainees.
It is currently owned by Aspen Education Group.
ISACCORP has a page on Excel Academy .
DUE TO THE ARREST OF A STAFF MEMBER THE PROGRAM STRUCTURE IS PRESENTLY BEING OVERHAULED
It is to destroy damaging and negative issues at the teenager like independence .
Throughout their stay at Excel, students begin to see their parents in a new light. They become grateful that they have loving parents and want to repair and improve their relationships.
The the teenager arrives at the facility, they are put on the Reflective Phase. They are given a list of faults (Impact letter) from their parents, which the parents want to have fixed by the teenager before they can allow the teenager back into his or her own family.
When the teenager has been broken, he or she enters the Willingness Phase, where the work on fixing items stated on the impact letter.
At a point the work on rebuilding relationship with the family is begun. This phase is called the Building Phase. They use a marathon workshop called Family Workbook I as a tool.
Once this work pays off the teenager enter the Externalization Phase.
The final phase is called Internalization Phase.
There are a letter only policy during the first 6 weeks.
The family can come on on-campus visits only during the Reflection and Willingness phases.
As the detained teenagers raise in the levels they can come off-campus (Building), have an overnight stay (Externalization) and finally a homevisit (Internalization).
They seem to have overcome their programs about being accredited. Where they in the past had teachers teaching without certificate from the state of Texas, they are now listed as accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools .
They use the concept of "shirting". Those of the detained teenagers, who are not working the program according to the judgement of the staff are put in a red T-shirt. They use the phrase "being shirted".
Other consequences range from doing work around the campus and missing out on some of the fun activities, to thoroughly aerating the enclosed garden with a shovel for a detained teenager consistently pushing all the boundaries.
Until february 2008 the teenagers considered of being of a flight risk was put in orange jumpsuit with the text "Runner call 911" on their back. They also were given a tour in the local jail where inmates treated the youth with Vaseline. This method were stopped by a new sheriff forcing the facility to adjust the program heavily .
An article from a marketingfirm states:
A common activity all the students do early after their enrollment is a tour of the local jail, where they have the opportunity to see a possible consequence of getting caught by authorities if they leave Excel and go back to some of their more acting-out behaviors.
In the news
January 2008 a police officer working on the campus is facing criminal charges because it is claimed that he disciplined a teenage boy unlawfully .
- 1) The facility on Google Maps.
- 2) Datasheet about the facility, NATSAP
- 3) ISACCORP on Excel Academy (Watch Organisation)
- 4) Schools & Program Visits - Feb, 2000 Issue #66: Excel Academy, by Lon Woodbury, Woodbury Reports - industry marketing firm
- 5) The New EXCEL Academy of Texas, press release by Don Vardell, published in Woodbury Reports, Inc., february 6 2008
- 6) Deputy Charged Over Alleged Discipline, By Carl Willis, KPRC 2, January 25 - 2008
- 7) Excel academy on International Survivor Action Committee mentioning the problems with the certificates.
- 8) SACS CASI Accredited Schools, from Southern Association of Colleges and Schools website
- 9) Rebuilding Family Relationships, program homepage
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Heal-Online webpage with survivor report (Watch Organisation)
- Info: Excel Academy Loses Accreditation?
- Info: Sheriff's officer fired following indictment, By: Jamie Nash and Lucretia Fernandez, Courier staff, The Courier of Montgomry County, January 27 2008
- Info: Montgomery County Texas Deputy Sheriff Monte Morast Fired, Charged After Taking Student To County Jail, Allowing Inmates To Order Him To Strip, And Apply Vaseline To His Butthole - Our Tax Dollars At Work, Bad Cop news
- Info: Deputy Charged Over Alleged Discipline, Msnbc
- Survivor Group: Excel Academy Myspace Group, Myspace
- Forum: Fornits - Aspen Group
- Forum: The real Excel Academy (Webpage with forums)
- Forum: Thread about the facility on Community Alliance for the Fair and Ethical Treatment of Youth