River View Christian Academy
River View Christian Academy (formerly Julian Youth Academy) is a behavior modification facility located near Chino, California .
The targetgroup was girls aged between 13 and 17. Later boys were also allowed to enroll.
The typical detention last between 12 and 18 months and they can detain 34 girls.
It was founded in 1989 as Julian Youth Academy. They started to use the new name after a dead baby belonging to one of the employees were found on campus.
They use a level system named with the letters A-M.
Newcomers are buddied with an oldcomer, who can report the newcomer to the staff if rules are not followed.
A former survivor describe a stay at the facility with the following words :
At 14 years old, I was awakened on a cold August morning at 5am to strangers who forced me to either dress in front of them or remain in the scant pajamas I was in. I chose the latter for obvious privacy reasons. I was not granted permission to use the restroom, or any other personal hygiene habits before what I was told would be "a long trip." My younger brother was asleep, and I would not get to see, write to, or talk to until a year later. My older sister, I will never forget, stared into my eyes with such sadness and intensity that I was stricken to muteness and shock for the entirety of the 6 hour car ride to Julian, CA. I knew not that I would also not have contact with her, nor family other than my mother and father, for about a year.
As the escorts asked me if I knew or wanted to know where they were taking me, I remained in shock and was unable to speak or express needs to these strangers.
Upon arrival, I remained in “intake” status for almost nine hours, refusing to dress and demanding that I should get one phone call, “Even criminals get a phone call.” I was not a criminal, nor was I ever involved in using drugs or alcohol, promiscuity, or otherwise physically harmful behavior. I was a victim of a statutory rape crime, and the perpetrator is now walking the streets! Due to the emotional trauma that caused and the abandonment I felt from my parents not seeking understanding from me, retrospectively I hold to the fact that I “rebelled” as mildly as any “normal,” healthy teenager would.
During my imprisonment at Julian Youth Academy (aka JYA), which was a period of fifteen months and sixteen days (August 1999-December 2000), I was treated like property through lack of sympathy, lack of care for emotional needs, lack of care for health needs, constant disbelief from staff and directors and punishment for expressing my human and health needs, lack of anyone to trust, zero advocacy, and lack of experienced and trained staff.
They detainees are mandated to wear an uniform in order to secure removal of their identity 
- Parents visit campus once a month, and are encouraged to correspond with their teen through letters and eventually through telephone conversations.
- Parents are also required to attend a parent training course bi-weekly if they live within a 100-mile radius of the school. All parents must attend an all day training course twice a year.
- When a child returns home, parents supervise the Aftercare Program for the child and regularly report their child's progress to the JYA staff.
There are two dorms with 25 girls per dorm. Newcomers live with an oldcomer called a buddy, who function as junior staff if the newcomer tries to run away.
In the news
In 2009 it was announced on their homepage that they were starting a program for boys. In relationship with the expansion they rented the campus of the former Shepherd Ranch Academy and the Cascade School .
In 2009 a public plea was made by a mother on the homepage of CAFETY .
In 2011 a mummified baby was found on one the campuses. It belonged to a staff member who told the police that she hadn't fed the baby when it was born . For more info see: The Julian Youth Academy campus neglect case.
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: Julian Youth Academy (JYA), userprofile on Myspace.
- Info: About the academy on Wikipedia, polished article in order to sell the concept to parents.
- Info: Angel Fire: Julian, CA, September 15, 2007 (Pictures of the area)
- Info: Preliminary hearing into baby's death delayed, By Jim Schultz, Redding.com, December 9, 2011
- Forum: LA Times Data Desk, a thread from L.A. Times
- Forum: Taken from Teen Rescue website. (Fucked UP SHIT), a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: JYA: Expansion when other are downsizing, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: Julian Youth Academy employee arrested for killing baby, a thread on the Fornits Home for Wayward Web Fora
- Forum: Julian Youth Academy, a thread on the Free Jinger message board
- Google maps of the surroundings
- I support the bill to End Institutionalized Abuse Against Children Act of 2005, a statement from a survivor of the facility
- JULIAN CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOLm Dennis Uniforms
- Teens homeless from Cedar fire, by MEGAN MARSHACK, North County Times, October 31 - 2003
- Julian Youth Academy Fire Recovery, Teen Rescue homepage
- UPDATE: Shasta County Woman Arrested For Killing Secret Baby; Infant Found Mummified, By Kerry Loring, KRCR TV, November 11, 2011
- FREE My DAUGHTER!!!, an article on the homepage of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Shasta County Woman Arrested in Death of Newborn, by: Alan Marsden, KHSL TV, November 8, 2011
Woman held in death of baby found hidden at Christian school, by Robert J. Lopez, LA Times blog, November 9, 2011