New Bethany Home
New Bethany Home was the name for three facilities located at:
- Longstreet, Louisiana (Closed 1981)
- Walterboro, South Carolina (Closed 1984)
- Arcadia, Louisiana
They were shut down after claims of abuse .
They were run by the couple Mack and Thelma Ford.
The claims of unhumane treatment consisted of these points:
- 1) Frequent whippings that left bruises.
- 2) Beatings at the hands of other girls (big sister treatment)
- 3) Being made to clean out animal pens with bare hands
- 4) Being denied medical care.
- 5) Being constantly called derogatory names.
In the news
- Welcome to The History of New Bethany, from Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Fighting to free a grandson, Western Slope family campaigns for release of 14-year-old boy from Louisiana preacher's harsh detention compound, By by Lou Kilzer, Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colorado, 1 November 1998 (Reprint from World Corporal Punishment Research)
- Teen Held In La. Camp Flies Home, Five months' incarceration ends after news stories, court order, lawmaker's intervention win release, By Lou Kilzer, Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colorado, 11 December 1998 (Reprint from World Corporal Punishment Research)
- Info: Schools hail pastor as a hero who redeemed teens, By Matthew Franck, Post-Dispatch, November 17 - 2002 (Reprint on Rick A. Ross Institute for the study of destructive cults, controversial groups and movements.)
- Info: New Bethany Home For Girls & Boys - a former detainee looks for other survivors.
- Info: Welcome to The History of New Bethany, from Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Info: Heal-online about the facility
- Info: Detention center loses fight--Lawsuit pitched; Louisiana preacher holding Colorado teen will face inspection, Lou Kilzer, News Staff Writer, from the Rocky Mountain News, December 6, 1998 (Reprint from project Nospank)
- Info: Rev. Mack Ford, man of God, By Alan Clendenning, Associated Press Writer, from Yahoo News, May 13 - 1999 (Reprint on project Nospank)
- Info: Founder of Baptist boarding school resists investigations by state agencies, Hannibal Courier-Post, May 22 - 1999
- Info: Schools Hail Pastor as a Hero Who Redeemed Teens, By Matthew Franck, Post-Dispatch, November 17 2002 (Reprint from Internation Survivor Action Committee)
- Survivor group: Survivors of New Bethany, msn
- Survivor account: Salvation is in My Head
- Survivor account: ADHD and Bipolor, by Jurriaan Plesman, 6/29/2007
- Forum: Roloffs, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: FAMILYCOURTREFORM · FAMILYCOURTREFORM - activist & reform, thread mentioning the facility
- Forum: Religious Facilities a subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: Roloff Evangelistic Programs a subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)
- Forum: Lighthouse of northwest florida (fka VCA )/ Rebekah / Roloff ) a subforum on Fornits webforum