Obsidian Trails Outdoor School
Obsidian Trails Outdoor School was a behavior modification program using wilderness therapy as a tool.
It did open in 1998 .
It was operated in relationship with a company called "The Back In Control Center". The name of the manager was Gregory Bodenhamer.
They offered two programs:
- 1) A 45 - 90 day ordinary wilderness program
- 2) A 21 day program called The Obsidian Trails Behavior Assessment Program
In the news
After a death in 2000 where 15 year old William H. Eddie Lee died their licence was rewoked . A staff member was charged after this incident.
- 1) New Perspectives - Aug, 1998, strugglingteens.com, industry marketing firm
- 2) Charge in Wilderness School Death, The Associated Press, September 20, 2000 (Reprint from project Nospank)
- Info: Death Trip - Wilderness therapy programs claim they'll straighten out your troubled teen with tough love and survival training. Some kids never come back, By Paige Bierma, CONSUMER HEALTH INTERACTIVE
- Info: Mother of dead camper sues Bend outdoor school - Lynn McAward files a $1.5 million dollar suit against Obsidian Trails in the death of her son, William "Eddie" Lee, By STEVE LUNDGREN Correspondent, The Oregonian, Wednesday, January 17, 2001 (Reprint from COALITION AGAINST INSTITUTIONALIZED CHILD ABUSE - referral firm)
- Survivor group: Group for survivors of wilderness program, who are alive to tell their story, Myspace
- Forum: Obsidian Trails Outdoor School, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: Obsidian Trails Wilderness program, a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: OBSIDIAN TRAILS SCHOOLS - 10 things you should know., a thread on Fornits webforum
- Forum: The Teen Help Industry a subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)
- Forum: The Troubled Teen Industry a subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)