Tranquility Bay is a behavior modification facility connected to World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools (WWASP).
It is located on the island nation of Jamaica . It opened in 1997. The director is Jay Kay, son of WWASP president Ken Kay. The cost for one child ranges from $25,000 to $40,000 a year. Tranquility Bay is generally acknowledged as the toughest of the WWASP schools; in fact, many other WWASP schools who are not able to handle their most rebellious detainees will expel them from their respective schools and enroll them in Tranquility Bay.
Tranquility Bay states that it is dedicated to helping parents who are having difficulty with their children, whether they are doing drugs, breaking the law, disobeying them, or are disrespectful. Jay Kay told a reporter: "If I have kids, and they start giving me a problem, well they are going straight in the program. If I had to, I'd pull the trigger without hesitation." ) . Children as young as 12 have been admitted to Tranquility Bay, for reasons ranging from drug use to conflicts with a new stepmother.
The facility used the WWASP 6 levels behavior modification program. Since the closure of High Impact in Tecate, Tranquility Bay is regarded as the toughest facility in the WWASP system.
A typical day is described as following by a survivor .
Some critics and former enrollees accuse the facility of torture or other grave mistreatment and say that the facility employs staff who are not appropriately qualified for work with troubled teenagers.
In the news
- The facility on Google Maps
- The Last Resort, Observer Magazine, June 29, 2003, Decca Aitkenhead
- Exposing WWASPS camp abuse, by Michal Zapendowski, Columms in The Brown Daily Herald, april 28 - 2005
- Cops rule out foul play in death of Tranquility Bay student, Jamaica Observer, August 16, 2001
- Want Your Kid to Disappear?, Legal Affairs, July/august 2004, Nadya Labi
- No More Nightmares at Tranquility Bay?, Alternet, January 23, 2006, John Gorenfeld
- Info: Program homepage
- Info: International survivors action committee on Tranquility Bay (Watch organisation)
- Info: TBfight (Former detainees)
- Info: Wikipedia on Tranquility Bay
- Info: Secret prisons for teens on Tranquility Bay
- Info: WWASP I, El Hilo de Ariadna, Educación Social, Cultura y Sociedad, blog
- Info: WWASP II, blog
- Info: WWASP III, El Hilo de Ariadna, Educación Social, Cultura y Sociedad, blog
- Forum: Anti-wwasp forum (Registration Required)
- Forum: Fornits wwasp forum
- Forum: Society Redefined: Sociology (Registration Required)
- Forum: Bulletin Boards
- Forum: RUMOR- Tranquility Bay in Jamaica is relocating because of tighter passport controls, a thread on Youthrighs forum
- Forum: Tranquility Bay Treatment Center (jamaica), a thread on the phatmass fresher message board
- Forum: The Troubled Teen Industry, a subforum on the message board of Fight Institutional Child Abuse Network (FICAN)
- Forum: WWASPS, a subforum on the message board of Community Alliance For the Ethical Treatment of Youth (CAFETY)