WinGate Wilderness Therapy
The program was founded in 2008 . According to Salt Lake Tribune the program is employee-owned, led by founder and executive director Shayne Gallagher, who also founded Walkabout / Outback Therapeutic Expeditions.
The admission office is in Kanab, Utah, but they use the western section of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument situated between Lake Powell and Zion National Park for hikes.
They are liscensed for 35 students and the program lasts about 8 weeks .
They allow the use of transport firms
They don't use a level system but instead they use Prochaska’s model of change as method. The model have 6 steps:
- Precontemplation - lack of awareness that life can be improved by a change in behavior;
- Contemplation - recognition of the problem, initial consideration of behavior change, and information gathering about possible solutions and actions;
- Preparation - introspection about the decision, reaffirmation of the need and desire to change behavior, and completion of final pre-action steps;
- Action - implementation of the practices needed for successful behavior change (e.g. exercise class attendance);
- Maintenance - consolidation of the behaviors initiated during the action stage;
- Termination - former problem behaviors are no longer perceived as desirable (e.g. skipping a run results in frustration rather than pleasure).
- Info: Program Homepage
- Survivor group: WINGATE WILDERNESS THERAPY, facebook This is not an actual survivor's group but a facebook page for those who like WinGate
- Group: WinGate Wilderness Therapy Reonion, facebook
- Community group: Wilderness Program Graduates, Facebook
- Survivor group: I Survived Wilderness, Facebook
- Survivor group: Wilderness Survivors, Facebook
- Survivor group: Group for people, who has been at a wilderness program and have survived to tell their story, Myspace WinGate is not mentioned on this page
- Community group: the anti-therapy alliance, Facebook
- Community group: Kicked Outta Rehab, Facebook